Subject: Re: MTD devices in NetBSD
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/23/2006 09:42:25
--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:12:27AM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > On Mar 22, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> >
> I'm not saying we shouldn't have a block abstraction available.  Indeed,
> I want to create one.  But what I am saying is that a filesystem might
> do better if it can operate below that abstraction.

Yes!

We can do this even within a block device.

Well-chosen calls to your strategy routine will work smothly, and you have=
=20
an ioctl interface for things like erase and whatever other calls you=20
need.

I guess a way to put it is to think of using one interface in two=20
different ways as opposed to an interface "below" another one.

Take care,

Bill

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--