Subject: Re: config_attach_pseudo(cfdata, aux)
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/20/2006 14:05:28
--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 09:43:54PM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > der Mouse wrote:
> > > I've always wondered why pseudo-devices don't attach to a "pseudo" bu=
s,
> > > one that has no hardware behind it and exists solely for pseudo-devic=
es
> > > to attach to.  That's what I did when I wanted to build a particular
> > > flavour of pseudo-disk and discovered I needed it to have a struct
> > > device for internal purposes.
>=20
> That may be what is happening here in reality, config_attach_pseudo() does
> in fact give a device structure, just doesnt give a parent. It may be that
> the semantics of what I have said is wrong and that the device which is
> created is not the pseudo-device, but is attached to it.  I think I got
> what I wanted though..

I forgot the earlier part of the thread. Sorry. pseudo-devices can either
just attach or they can use config_attach_pseudo(). The main thing about
config_attach_pseudo() is that pseudo-devices that use it can parent other
devices. An iSCSI initiator would be one example of a pseudo-device that=20
wants to parent other devices.

Take care,

Bill

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn