Subject: Re: "fast" syscalls?
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2006 10:48:18
On Mar 17, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> This is almost exactly what I had in mind.  It is the ioctl that I
> wanted to optimize away.

I can think of a couple of ways to make it less expensive for the u-
 >k notification... but I'll have to stew on it for a bit first...
My brain is doing in the direction of a generic message queue
description / notification API... If we had a generic subsystem, it
would be reasonable to implement a generic "fast trap" for this on
platforms that can do it.

Anyway, for now I would suggest "use an ioctl to get your stuff
working", and then we can always speed it up later..

-- thorpej