Subject: Re: CCISS support, anyone?
To: Tonnerre LOMBARD <tonnerre@bsdprojects.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/15/2006 12:36:51
On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:35:24AM +0100, Tonnerre LOMBARD wrote:

> > The comment `# Common Interface for SCSI-3 [Support]' seems
> > inappropriate to me; there's nothing "common" about this driver at
> > all, outside the context of particular Compaq RAID cards. So I think
> > the config-file comments should instead say something like
>
> No, this is really a common and standardized interface which has the name
> "Common interface for SCSI-3 Support".

I don't really see how it's "common" if it's implemented only by one
moderately obscure brand of RAID adapter.  The great thing about standards
is that there are so many to choose from!

I agree that the kernel config file comment should help users see which
cards this supports, not just recite some marketing words. :-)

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart