Subject: Re: CVS commit: [elad-kernelauth] src/sys/kern
To: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/2006 19:46:14
On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 02:28:41AM +0200, Elad Efrat wrote:
> YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>
> > then, what's the point to use binary search?
>
> It seemed more natural to use binary search when the list is sorted..
> I guess I can revert.
>
> > because it can send only limited number of groups.
>
> Yes, I know that, but is it an implementation detail that the order
> by which the groups appear indicates their importance?

No, because everyone who's sane implements it the same way because it's
widely expected behavior.  I know of literally thousands of systems
that have run for years with carefully sorted groups precisely because
of this issue.

History sucks, doesn't it?  But we're stuck with it.  NFSv4 is not only
not ubiquitous, it's not even in NetBSD at all.

Thor