Subject: Re: hardware compatability Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/11/2006 14:48:25
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 05:58:06PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 01:12:56PM -0800, jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu wrote:

> >>Serverworks K2 SATA maybe ?
> >>I commited a driver for this yesterday.
>
> not completely sure, see http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/notes.html

I didn't see the SATA controller in your screen shots, but with the BIOS
screen I think that's it

> [...]
> >(And can we get these pulled up to NetBSD-3 once they're known to be
> >stable and reliable?)
>
> I presume the recent driver commits are now in head, is there a
> specific revision or "buildable date" I should checkout?

No, just checkout HEAD, it should work.

> I see a 3.0 amd64 cdrom (I used i386 before) but how do I
> install a kernel with current drivers? should I setup a PXE boot
> installer, well, with no networking, that's out. I need to get a

Why ? The PXE boot can load a kernel, even if this kernel doesn't have
a driver for the network adapter. IMHO it's the best way, especially
if you need to test several different kernels.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>