Subject: Re: hardware compatability Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2006 17:58:06

not completely sure, see http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/notes.html

>I dunno, but I hear a reliable rumour that the bcm5780s are very
>likely integrated inside a Broadcom/Serverworks HT-2000.  (Though the
>1000base-SX looks ... odd).

well the sata controller is integrated into the blade while the
network controller may be on the blade board (or on the network
module, but I'm tending to think the mid-plane contains an
internal switch and the network module provides an external
switch). It's really not clear after speaking with a sales tech.

I'll have hands on with the hardware next week, when I'll photograph
the modules and chipset.  Also have another appt with support to
address these specific issues.

>Given that it's a blade, where space is tight, I'd guess it
>highly-integrated [sic] "southbridge", maybe an HT-1000.

there are surprisingly few chips on these boards -- lots of
integration.

>(And can we get these pulled up to NetBSD-3 once they're known to be
>stable and reliable?)

I presume the recent driver commits are now in head, is there a
specific revision or "buildable date" I should checkout?

I see a 3.0 amd64 cdrom (I used i386 before) but how do I
install a kernel with current drivers? should I setup a PXE boot
installer, well, with no networking, that's out. I need to get a
current kernel on a cdrom installer. I presume "NetBSD Bootable CD
ROM HOWTO" http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html is the
best way. Will try that, unless I'm missing something?

I'm not too experienced with serial, should I use comms/minicom
and just enable serial getty from the installer? (kvm works for
installer but no keyboard on first boot) is there a HOWTO for
serial? Also where is a guide for boot options, eg disable apci,
usb probes...?

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org