Subject: Re: Call for testing: ACPI standby/suspend support
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2006 13:33:00
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:22:50 -0400 (AST)
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > Btw -- is there any way to work around the buggy firmware?  Thinkpads
> > are among the most common laptops.
>
> Yes, from sys/dev/acpi/acpica/Osd/OsdMisc.c:
>
> /*
>   * for debugging DSDT (try this at your own risk!):
>   *
>   * 1. dump your raw DSDT (with acpidump(*1) etc.)
>   * 2. disassemble with iasl -d (*2)
>   * 3. modify the ASL file
>   * 4. compile it with iasl -tc
>   * 5. copy *.hex to /sys/dev/acpi/acpica/Osd/dsdt.hex
>   *    -or-
>   *    options ACPI_DSDT_FILE="\"yourdsdt.hex\"" in
>   *    your config file and yourdsdt.hex in the build directory
>   * 6. uncomment ACPI_DEDT_OVERRIDE or options ACPI_DSDT_OVERRIDE
>   *    in your kernel config file and rebuild the kernel
>   *
>   * (*1) /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/acpidump
>   * (*2) /usr/pkgsrc/sysutils/acpi-iasl
>   */

That would be ok, if I had some idea what changes to make (and if I
weren't scared by the "at your own risk" line -- what am I risking
besides the need to reboot?); however, that wasn't what I meant.  As I
said, the Thinkpad is one of the most common laptops; asking everyone
to make arcane (and risky) changes isn't very friendly.  Is there any
way for NetBSD's acpi code to just work on such laptops, with nothing
more than (if necessary) some kernel build options?