Subject: Re: Call for testing: ACPI standby/suspend support
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2006 12:47:20
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 11:41 -0500, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> "Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.ca> writes:
>
> > PLEASE TEST THIS CODE! It's very simple, boot a kernel with these
> > patches single-user, and run 'apm -d -z'. Report your results. If you
> > can, provide patches to hardware device driver powerhooks. This is
> > probably the biggest task involved with getting ACPI suspend/resume
> > working properly.
>
> On an IBM ThinkPad X20, I get these errors from the kernel with either
> "apm -d -S" or "apm -d -z":
>
> ACPI Error (evregion-0415): No handler for Region [ECOR] (0xc0aa7dc0) [EmbeddedControl]
> ACPI Error (exfldio-0381): Region EmbeddedControl(3) has no handler
> ACPI Error (psparse-0626): Method parse/execution failed [\_PTS] (Node 0xc0ab0680), AE_NOT_EXIST
> acpi: failed preparing to sleep (AE_NOT_EXIST)
>
> Suggestions? Are there any ACPI dumps that would be useful?

Please install 'acpidump' from pkgsrc, and run the following:

  # acpidump -o thinkpad_x20.aml >/dev/null

and send me the .aml file. I'll check to see if you have buggy firmware
(and if so, we might be able to patch it).

Hrm, also, do you have the 'acpiec' driver in your kernel? Maybe try
once more with that driver enabled. I don't have an acpiec in my laptop,
but the man page hints that other drivers implicitly depend on it.

Cheers,
Jared