Subject: Re: Call for testing: ACPI standby/suspend support
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2006 13:37:12
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> I didn't, no. I tried (before recieving your message) enabling all of
> the acpifoo* at acpi?, which included an acpiec. I get a different
> result now; "apm -d -S" produces the following kernel output:
>
> acpiec0: EcWrite: timeout waiting for EC to process write command
> ACPI Error (evregion-0522): Handler for [EmbeddedControl] returned AE_ERROR
> ACPI Error (psparse-0626): Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.ISA_.ED__.SYSL] (Node 0xc0ab3360), AE_ERROR
> ACPI Error (psparse-0626): Method parse/execution failed [\_SI_._SST] (Node 0xc0ab8620), AE_ERROR
> ACPI Error (hwsleep-0297): Method _SST failed, AE_ERROR

As someone said in another message, you have broken firmware and will need
to patch it.

> and the system hangs. I can't tell if it's in a low-power mode; the
> display is still on, but I can't break into DDB. If I press the power
> button in this state, I get:

It's not hung, it's sleeping (S1 shouldn't shut off the display or run
any powerhooks).

> ACPI Error (utmutex-0419): Mutex [8] is not acquired, cannot release

I get this message too. It's non-fatal for me, at least.

> acpi0: power button pressed, shutting down!
>
> and it shuts down.

How would you typically resume from sleep in Windows? My Dell requires me
to press the power button, but I suppose if a duplicate event is being
delivered to acpibut(4), this could be possible..

> With "apm -d -z", the same errors flash by on the console, and then it
> does go into a low-power mode; the display goes off, I can hear the
> disk spin down, and the wireless card turns off. When I press the
> power button, the same mutex error occurs, but it does power back up
> reasonably (I haven't tested that all devices work, but the disk,
> shell, and console, at least, come back).
>
> So those errors might not be the real problem if they happen in both
> -S and -z, but -z seems to kind-of work.

Great to hear, thanks!!!

Cheers,
Jared