Subject: Call for testing: ACPI standby/suspend support
To: None <>
From: Jared D. McNeill <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/09/2006 05:14:17
On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 21:03 -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Hey folks --
> In preparation for the next release, I'm working on some patches for
> allowing userland to initiate ACPI sleep from userspace.
> If anyone wants to try the patches from this site, feedback would be
> appreciated:

Ok, this actually works now. Not only does it work, but it works fairly
damn well. With a workaround[1], I can even recover from S3 with the
buggy firmware on my Latitude D600. I'm still working through a few
device driver issues (iwi completely loses on resume, for example), but
I'm happy with the state of this support. Make sure you grab the
20060309 patchset; the 20060307 patchset is useless.

PLEASE TEST THIS CODE! It's very simple, boot a kernel with these
patches single-user, and run 'apm -d -z'. Report your results. If you
can, provide patches to hardware device driver powerhooks. This is
probably the biggest task involved with getting ACPI suspend/resume
working properly.

[1] If your firmware is broken and doesn't re-initialize the display
adapter on resume from S3, try setting a power-on password in your BIOS.
The 'enter your unlock password' screen is enough to kick mine back into