Subject: Re: tape drive instrumentation round 2
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/08/2006 13:28:18

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 02:18:00PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> > > i don't think of any usage for which inclusion of "nfs" is useful.
> >=20
> > I can! Any tool which wants to know what io stat names are available.=
> for example?

I don't have one handy, but I do know of applications that take the=20
current disknames sysctl and applies a regex to it to determine as list of=
drives that are candidates for certain internal operations.

> > I think a better thing to do is rename the variable to "iostatnames". T=
> > it makes a lot of sense to include nfs in the list of all iostat-provid=
> > sources.
> for what is it useful, in addition to statistics themselves,
> which include those names?

So that a program can know what statistics are available.

I admit I'm operating a bit in a vacuum as I haven't tried the latest=20
patch. But the difference is one of explicit listing vs. implicit listing.=

Yes, we can know what stat types are available by looking at the mass of=20
stats. But I think there also is value in directly knowing what stats are=

Take care,