Subject: Re: config & endianness
To: Quentin Garnier <>
From: Garrett D'Amore <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/06/2006 08:46:03
Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:27:36AM -0800, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>> Hmm.... we now have some kernel configs in evbmips that do not make
>> sense for either big or little endian.
>>     * OMSAL and MTX-1 are always little endian
>>     * forthcoming ATHEROS AR531x based systems will always be big endian
>>     * DBAU1XXX can be either endian (jumper selectable)
>>     * Malta/PB1XXX?  probably also jumper selectable
>> Is there a way to establish stuff in config so that:
>>     1) an attempt to build a kernel with endianness that doesn't make
>> sense fails in config(8), AND
> I don't really understand that.  How is config(1) supposed to know what
> endianness it is supposed to build for?  You want to flag it when it is
> compiled?  Currently, config(1) is arch-agnostic, i.e. you can use the
> same binary for any arch.
I'm not talking about config(1) itself, rather I'm talking about having
the machinery in the kernel configuration files for this.  So if you try
to build an evbmips-eb kernel using an MTX-1 config, it should fail.
Because this architecture (MTX-1) can *only* run little endian.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191