Subject: config & endianness
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/06/2006 08:27:36
Hmm.... we now have some kernel configs in evbmips that do not make
sense for either big or little endian.

    * OMSAL and MTX-1 are always little endian
    * forthcoming ATHEROS AR531x based systems will always be big endian
    * DBAU1XXX can be either endian (jumper selectable)
    * Malta/PB1XXX?  probably also jumper selectable

Is there a way to establish stuff in config so that:

    1) an attempt to build a kernel with endianness that doesn't make
sense fails in config(8), AND

    2) the master releng Makefiles/scripts only bother to build the
kernels that make sense for a particular endianness

I also have another question relating to the atheros HAL and endianness
in Makefiles.  Is there a way to detect in the kernel Makefiles what
endianness is being used and use different dependencies based on that?
(I.e. pick either the big or the little endian HAL properly.)

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191