Subject: Re: New USB driver & API, now on NetBSD 3.0
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/02/2006 21:11:22
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> what I wonder is what the benefits of this new USB stack is,

is this completely new, rewritten or just tidied up?

> and what drawbacks the existing one is supposed to have that justifies
> replacing a working piece of software. And some estimate if it's really
> easier to replace than to fix.

One thing that I think is very important is that the current USB code has
no documentation and its quite difficult to understand at first sight.

Any replacement should have better documentation before it is considered,
is my opinion :)

Also, there is a comment in usbdi(9) to the effect that the OpenUSBDI
specification looks different now. If new, does this code look like the
newer spec?  That could be some kind of improvement..

iain