Subject: Re: Getting rid of BEEP_ONHALT_*
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/27/2006 15:24:11
--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 12:18:37AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:08:49PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > But these will be lost every time you update the kernel.
>=20
> Then use the kernel options instead - you said you wanted to change the
> values (for experimenting) w/o kernel recompilation - the variable will
> properly solve that.
>=20
> > As 1) the feature is optional and 2) sysctl nodes are now dynamic,
> > (so no need to mess with userland) I don't see why adding some more
> > sysctl nodes could hurt...
>=20
> I don't realy care - but it looks like realy overkill to have some runtime
> changable value that only will be used a single time at shutdown.

Uhm, by that same train of thought, we should not have ddb.onpanic, since=
=20
after all it is only used once. :-)

People want to change this. What is the big deal with letting them change=
=20
it? It's much cleaner than hacking options, and much much cleaner than=20
having to gdb a built kernel to change the value. :-|

Take care,

Bill

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe

--DBIVS5p969aUjpLe--