Subject: Re: Getting rid of BEEP_ONHALT_*
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/26/2006 09:31:36
On 26/02/2006, at 0:18, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 08:08:49PM +0100, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> But these will be lost every time you update the kernel.
>
> Then use the kernel options instead - you said you wanted to change
> the
> values (for experimenting) w/o kernel recompilation - the variable
> will
> properly solve that.

It is not only for experimenting.  It is to let binary-only users to
use a feature that otherwise wouldn't be available to them (assuming
that the feature is built but disabled by default).

We seem to assume that everybody wants to build their own kernels.
(They are often forced to do it anyway because we do not offer any
alternative, but there is people out there running GENERIC...)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/