Subject: Re: IPSEC in GENERIC
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2006 02:28:46
--------------enigEE8F1C25FAAB08A1C687B4DD

Sean Davis wrote:
> Some people (myself included) have no IPv6 connectivity. Nor do I want or
> need it. We don't insist on SCSI in kernels with support for hard disks, do
> we? No, if I don't have SCSI in a machine, I can leave it out. I think the
> same argument is valid for IPv6.

It might make sense to merge the code paths as far as they're similar,
even though you don't need the other version. You can separate the
shared part, and have the rest of each reside under their respective
options.

> We support IDE-and-no-SCSI, as well as SCSI-and-no-IDE. Kernels can have
> both even if the machine only has one of the two, but why add extra bloat?

Well, for example ATAPI devices are basically SCSI devices on an IDE
connection (simplified). This means that to support ATAPI devices like
CD-ROMs or tape drives and such, you need some common code between SCSI
and IDE(ATAPI). I think this is a similar case to the IP versions in
this respect.

> This isn't even going into the fact that NetBSD insists on trying IPv6 first
> on everything, even if there is no IPv6 connectivity, which is a very good
> reason to leave it out of a kernel, IMO.

That's a bug indeed, just as having gethostbyname(3) with a query for
NULL not responding with both :: and 0.0.0.0 when net.inet6.ip6.v6only=1
(though this isn't the kernel's fault)(assuming you have IPv6 compiled
in and working, ofcourse).

Cheers,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard