Subject: Re: LKMs (was Re: IPSEC in GENERIC)
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2006 14:56:33
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 09:46:11AM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> >What's really needed is an in-kernel loader.  At least two developers
> >have stepped up in the past and claimed to be in the midst of writing
> >one of those, but nothing's ever come of it.
> >
> >I also question whether, without versioning of modules and without
> >inter-library dependencies, this will actually ever be particularly
> >useful.  Finally, I think it's important to retain the ability to
> >build a monolithic kernel for applications where the entire blob
> >must be verified -- *without* running a chain of dependencies and
> >hoping you got it right.
>
> The one mistake I think we have is that LKM's are special.  IMO, there
> should be nothing special about a LKM.  It should use the exact same
> services to make itself to the kernel as a static module built into a
> monolithic kernel.

	Including config.  I actually started working on this, but it then fell
to the same fate as those in-kernel loaders.  I have some pieces somewhat
working if anyone else is intersted in it.  The basic idea was that
a lot of the glue code that is currently written by hand can be generated
by config by using a fragment of a kernel config file.

eric