Subject: Re: Ordering device probes
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2006 17:12:06
In message <6345395A-0E25-4539-BBB7-380A8361C42A@shagadelic.org>, Jason Thorpe
writes:
>On Feb 20, 2006, at 6:54 AM, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> Which is why the code for it should NOT be in the emac driver, or
>> in the opb
>> bus driver, or the pci bus driver, or anywhere else but in my
>> machdep code and
>> my config file.

>It should be in your board-specific code, but NOT in your kernel
>config file.

Okay, now I'm completely stumped.  What's a kernel config file FOR, then?

>In your foo_machdep.c, write a routine that assumes the existence and
>location of the SEEPROM (the same way RedBoot does) and reads the MAC
>address for the specified emac instance in your device_register()
>routine.

... Isn't code duplication normally considered bad?

(BTW, is there documentation to explain how you know which functions to use
for what, e.g., what goes in device_register?  I tried a couple of obvious
man ideas, and got nothing.)

-s