Subject: Re: LKMs (was Re: IPSEC in GENERIC)
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2006 16:43:44
--------------enigADE27330A92ECF5C653AEB48

Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> If I were king, I'd decree that *all*
>> device drivers must be loadable, and *all* device drivers should be
>> dynamically loaded except for those that are necessary to boot the
>> system and read in new device drivers.
> This seems so obvious to me, that I was quite surprised to find the
> point contentious.  Anyway, as someone who is interested in it, I've
> raised the question about what is needed to make it happen -- with a
> willingness to provide some assistance if needed.

If this happens, I'd like to go the whole nine yards and put all this in
separate VM spaces. In other words, go the microkernel way, as that's
where this is headed. Any objections regarding performance loss, well,
look at L4. If the kernel itself (and VMM) go in *that* direction,
performance will be of no issue (or even more academic, put everything
in the same VM space, but limit the memory mappings processes/modules
have, and not have to worry about many heavy context switches). Of
course, this is a very long way to go, and I doubt if many like it.

> Of course, if there are technical concerns about whether such an idea is
> good, then I think maybe core@ should set a direction.

I concur.

Cheers,
--