Subject: Re: powering down pcmcia/cardbus slots
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2006 15:16:19
On 2006-02-16 smb@cs.columbia.edu wrote:

> Anyway -- I of course kill pppd before removing the cards.  With
> moderate frequency, though -- say, about 10% of the time -- when I
> remove the card the laptop reboots.  As best I can tell, it's not going
> into ddb nor panicking, but since I've never seen any messages I can't
> be certain.  (Recently, I've started killing my Console window and
> switching to screen 1 before removing the card, to see if anything
> shows up.)  There definitely haven't been any dumps.  The question,
> then, is what would cause a machine to spontaneously reboot.

  A tripple fault will cause a reboot.  kern/32011 might be related,
although I thought that one only applied to removing a card during attach.
There could easily be more such problems in USB code.  Running DIAGNOSTIC
might help catch the problem if it is due to memory corruption.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com