Subject: Re: RFC: vesafb, splash screen, and rasops shadowfb patch
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2006 10:50:25
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> It's been pointed out to me that I forgot about embedded systems.  For
> those I agree -- the splash screen and progress bars are excellent
> ideas.
>
> 		--Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Yes, and I'm working on such a system myself.

And speaking as one of them, I think generally most of the developers
for such systems are smart enough to figure out how to enable the splash
screen if it isn't the default option. The "default" option should
probably be whatever appeals to the bulk of NetBSD's users.

The other thing is that if it is in a kernel config, then the default
can be different for embedded boxen than for developer workstations.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191