Subject: Re: RFC: vesafb, splash screen, and rasops shadowfb patch
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Thomas E. Spanjaard <tgen@netphreax.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2006 16:14:04
--------------enig95AA9B38117677E44D021350

Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:44:01AM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>>Assuming splash screens really get you excited.  I'm afraid they don't
>>get me excited, and I'd prefer to see the probe messages. Over an
>>image if need be, but I want to see them.
> 	Do you think most NetBSD users want to see them?  Do you think most
> NetBSD users have a need to see them?
> 	IMO, the answer to both of those questions is no.  Displaying a splash
> screen instead of probe messages certainly makes the boot process look a
> lot more polished, which is nice from an end-user perspective.

IMHO, the splash screen should be optional, not the debug messages. *I*
think most NetBSD users are actually familiar with them and their
meaning, that most NetBSD users aren't just Windows/Linux 'end-users'
but rather familiar with the system they're running.

> 	Of course, having the option (e.g. with "boot -v" ?) to see the probe
> messages is necessary, and there are times when you want to show the actual
> text instead of the progress bar/moving dots/waving flag/whatever:
> e.g. when a panic() happens.
> It'd be nice to show all the probe messages at that point, but at the very
> least panic() needs to arrange to turn off the progress bar (using
> vesafb_enable_text?) so the panic message is visible.

As I said, leave the debug messages as default, and a VESA splash screen
as an option.

Cheers,
--
         Thomas E. Spanjaard