Subject: Re: RFC: vesafb, splash screen, and rasops shadowfb patch
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2006 12:26:21
--m972NQjnE83KvVa/

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 04:26:14PM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> > Assuming splash screens really get you excited.  I'm afraid they don't
> > get me excited, and I'd prefer to see the probe messages. Over an
> > image if need be, but I want to see them.
>=20
> 	Do you think most NetBSD users want to see them?  Do you think most
> NetBSD users have a need to see them?
> 	IMO, the answer to both of those questions is no.  Displaying a splash
> screen instead of probe messages certainly makes the boot process look a
> lot more polished, which is nice from an end-user perspective.

I'm not saying its a bad feature - just it's not the aspect of this
good work that I personally see as most valuable.  I can see a use for
it, I can see the circumstances under which it's considered nice or
important.

I gave some other examples of related outcomes from Jared's good work
that I see as offering more benefit overall -- if for no other reason
than that they take effect for the 99.999% of the time when the
machine isn't in the process of booting.

--
Dan.
--m972NQjnE83KvVa/

--m972NQjnE83KvVa/--