Subject: Re: RFC: vesafb, splash screen, and rasops shadowfb patch
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2006 20:26:38
Hello,

> On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 11:33 -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> > 	eww... image in a .h file?  How do you convert a normal image file into
> > that format?  Isn't there a better way to insert the image file data into
> > the kernel?
>
> I saved it as a .h file with The GIMP, and renamed a few symbols (I have
> a script to do this for me).

While going with GIMP + .h is the easiest solution, something like
what mdsetimage(8) does would probably be better -- you could then
change splashscreen image w/o kernel recompile.

> This is one of the pending problems; no way to free that memory.

This would be a nice feature in general -- say you need to boot
an FPGA soonish during kernel boot and never use that firmware
image again.

Anyway, vesafb looks cool! :)

	-- Jachym