Subject: Re: Am I going insane ? (The ioctl_copy*() functions)
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/14/2006 08:40:59
--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 01:06:53PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> I see that the kernel has had a pair of functions
> 	ioctl_copyin()
> 	ioctl_copyout()
> since last August.   That's fine, and from what I can see the
> implementation of them looks fine.
>=20
> What I can't find is a single user of those functions anywhere
> in the kernel.   That's a pity, as I was kind of hoping to copy
> someone else's code rather than having to work it out myself.
>=20
> [Aside: I would have used copyoutstr() if ioctl_copyout() didn't
> exist, it is a slightly better fit for what I need, but I can
> cope with that OK - doing my own strlen() processing.]

I think the users are coming in.

Check out the discussion on this list a while back. The main point of them=
=20
was to permit ioctls to be called both from userland and the kernel w/o=20
bloating the ioctl code.

If an ioctl_copyoutstr() and ioctl_copyinstr() would be useful, they=20
should be added. :-)

Take care,

Bill

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY