Subject: Re: Adding Multiboot support (or not)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/2006 14:17:50
On Saturday 11 February 2006 13:39, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 03:36:39PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> > I haven't looked at how GRUB passes symbol table, but I wonder
> > wouldn't it be easier to write alternative code that inits ksyms from
> > the grub symtab directly instead of constructing an Elf image to pass
> > to addsymtab.
>
> Yes, that is the way to go. (Julio, I tried to suggest this to you early
> on, but I might not have expressed it clearly enough and you detoured into
> the MKSYMTAB workaround)

I know, I know...  But given that I knew nothing about this whole thing
when I started, I wanted to do it with minimum impact (i.e., without
touching any of the existing code, if possible).  It was already
difficult enough to understand how it was working to even try to write
it in a different way.  Also, writing the code as is now made me learn
a bit about ELF.

Anyway, not that it cannot be done properly now ;-)  I will look at it
now that I've gathered "enough" knowledge about the issue.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/