Subject: Re: Automatically configuring mouse repeating
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/10/2006 11:20:33
On 2/10/06, YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
> > Following the addition of 'mouse button autorepeating', it'd be nice if
> the
> > driver detected affected mice and set up them so that they worked as
> > expected "out of the box" (i.e., as advertized by the manufacturer).
> >
> > The attached patch does this (for my specific mouse model) by defining
> > a quirks table in ums(4) and setting the repeat rate if it finds the
> mouse.
> > I don't think this is possible to do at the wsmouse(4) level because it
> > cannot identify mice, can it?  I mean, each bus has its own way to
> > describe devices (e.g., vendor/product in usb)... unless we used a stri=
ng
> > with the mouse's full name, in which case wsmouse(4) could do it.  Mmm.
>
> what you want to implement is "make autorepeating default for
> buttons which are normally used for some special purposes,
> for which autorepeating is often expected."  right?

Yes.

> is it appropriate to call it a quirk?

I don't know; I thought the word fit the context, but maybe it doesn't.

> i'm not sure if it's desirable to put this kind of functionalities
> into kernel.

I think I agree.  In fact, I also thought about the possibility of
implementing button autorepeating and third button emulation in
userspace, making wsmoused act as a filter (i.e., read from
/dev/wsmouse and drop all events to a named pipe).  Could this
make sense?

> > Note that the same automatic setup can be applied to "emulate 3rd
> > button", when implemented.
>
> i don't think that whether 3 button emulation is desirable
> is only a property of a device.

Not only, but it could be a reasonable default.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/