Subject: Boot drive [was Re: Multiboot support for review]
To: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/01/2006 09:41:06
Changed the subject because this has nothing to do with Multiboot.

El 01/02/2006, a las 6:00, George Georgalis escribi=F3:

> Problem:
> init numbers drives in this order: pci SATA, onboard SATA, onboard =20
> PATA
> (I'm not blaming init, it may be a wacko bios providing the devices
> in the wrong order, but I've not been able to try in other hardware)
[...]

I don't know what PATA is, but anyway...

init(8) does not number drives.  It is the kernel who initializes the
drivers and, depending on the order in which that happens and the
number of drives, they will get some identifiers or others.

I *think* wedges are a solution to this problem but I do not know
anything about them.

Another solution is to rebuild a custom kernel and change its
configuration to force the detection of drives in a specific order.
E.g., instead of saying:

wd* at atabus?
wd* at umass?

You'd say:

wd0 at atabus?
wd1 at atabus?
wd2 at umass?
wd3 at umass?

so that wd0 and wd1 were always the drives attached to atabus and
wd2 and wd3 those attached to usb.  Similarly to what you are doing
in openbsd with config -e.

Then you can also change the 'config netbsd root on ? type ?' to
hardcode where the root partition is: 'config netbsd root on wd0a type
ffs'.

Cheers,

--=20
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>