Subject: Re: The reason for securelevel
To: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/01/2006 02:04:00
On Thu 26 Jan 2006 at 15:29:36 -0500, Chapman Flack wrote:
> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> >>  Can one even run X with securelevel=1 yet? I kept maintaining a  patch
> >It used to be possible with pkgsrc/sysutils/aperture.  Haven't
> >tried for a looong while, though.
>
> Seems to me there was a recent thread about that on port-i386,
> which revealed that (a) aperture apparently does work on that
> platform, and (b) aperture works because a hole was carved in the

it does, I am using it, and I really want to use it on amd64 too but it
doesn't work there.
This is a prime example of splitting up securelevel, because I really
want to run my server at securelevel 1 but I can't, if I want to run X
too. While theoretically perhaps running X makes the system insecure, in
practice it still is a safer system if only it could run on level 1.

> -Chap
-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.