Subject: Re: Musings on ddb..
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/2006 20:54:57
darrenr@NetBSD.org (Darren Reed) writes:

>disable it.  Why is this a problem?  Because having it enabled
>appears to expose the system to hanging if it is in a bad way
>and ddb is involved - hangs that aren't otherwise likely.

You can disable it with sysctl.

ddb.onpanic       enables DDB when the system panics
ddb.fromconsole   enables ctrl-alt-esc

Why would DDB cause hangs? In my experience hangs do happen
when you crash in the middle of a disk operation or during
a high priority interrupt, syncing disks is then not possible.

Using ddb to reboot without a sync is a way out.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de