Subject: Pthread diag assertion failures?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2006 00:30:35
Hi,

after upgrading my laptop from 3.99.7 to 3.99.14 and then subsequently
to 3.99.15, I've started seeing pthread diag assertions triggered by
e.g. firefox-gtk1.  It's the same firefox-gtk1 binary which did not
trigger those assertions earlier.  So, in order to avoid unexpected
"all windows and tabs in firefox suddenly disappears" events, I've
started running it with PTHREAD_DIAGASSERT set to "A".

However, I'm also seeing this sort of errors while trying to run
certain programs with our (hopefully) up-and-coming Java 1.5.  I hear
that those sort of problems also did not happen when running these
same programs with NetBSD 3.99.9.  So, basically, I'm wondering if
anyone has any idea about what (if anything) changed, either in our
kernel or in our pthread library to trigger the change in behaviour
between then and now, or whether this actually represents real errors
in the applications.

The errors are typically of this form:

java: Error detected by libpthread: Invalid mutex.
Detected by file "/usr/src/lib/libpthread/pthread_mutex.c", line 334, f=
unction "pthread_mutex_unlock".
See pthread(3) for information.

Any hints appreciated.

Regards,