Subject: Re: Linux emulation, binary software, cluster/grid and SMP
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/18/2006 10:48:42
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:58:31AM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used linux emulation to run "The Intel Fortran Compiler
>> 9.0" on "a system based on an AMD Athlon* or AMD Opteron*
>> processor." Where there issues? How was performance?
>
>I set up the Intel Fortran Compiler a couple of months ago, and after
>adding all the required linux libraries in the emulation directory and
>setting the proper LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables, I was able to compile
>trivial programs, but the resulting binaries were Linux binaries, so
>that you couldn't link against native other libraries (such as MPI, for
>example).  I colleague of mine started working on this and use linux MPI
>shared libraries to link against, but I don't remember if it worked out
>or not.

Okay. I don't think the people working with Fortran will be
linking against native libraries or mpi-ch, sounds interesting a
lot of work for a specialized hack... but I'll keep this in mind.

>> I see MatLAB is mentioned on the NetBSD front page, is it "make
>> and play" does anyone have experiences to share, with its install
>> and operation?
>
>Matlab works just fine and is fairly easy to install and set up.  See
>http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/compat.html.

Thanks, I didn't see the section
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/compat.html#applications
and
 http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/in-Action/jschauma-matlab.png
 More information is available at
 http://www.spg.tu-darmstadt.de/~hf/notes/matlab-on-netbsd.html and
 http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-i386/2005/10/07/0002.html.

That must be your desktop. Does MatLab optionally run graphical
or command line?  Can it make use of cluster/grid resources for
modeling?

>> Sun Grid Engine or clustering technology (linux or native), A-Okay
>> or issues? -- just looking for positive or negative experiences
>> with particular software you have tried.
>
>I believe there's a package in pkgsrc (parallel/sge), which is native.
>But it's not up to date, and I haven't tried it out.

I saw sge in pkgsrc. Was thinking to adjust version in makefile or just
build in /usr/local -- I don't expect any issue there, just wondering
if there where any.

Thanks,
// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org