Subject: Re: c99 in KNF?
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/14/2006 14:52:50
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:13:32PM -0500, Chapman Flack wrote:

> I looked in the gcc 2.95.3 manual and it already supported initializers
> with designators, e.g. { .d_open = fooopen, .d_close = fooclose } which
> is being used to good advantage in FreeBSD to reduce reliance on exact
> struct layouts.  So that should be usable even on the current vax port.

ISTR something about old versions of gcc not getting initialiers of
unions correct (or some compound structures including unions).
This is unliekly to be a serious problem.

So the only problem is toolchain builds with compilers that don't
support them. I know I've had problems with M$ compilers recently.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk