Subject: Re: c99 in KNF?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/13/2006 13:13:32
joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:
> And in fact, a lot of GNU extensions can be replaced or relabled as C99
> features. long long, inline and __func__ come to mind. It should be
> added that inline has a slightly different meaning in C99, e.g. "static
> inline" in C99 is approximately the same as GCC's inline.

I looked in the gcc 2.95.3 manual and it already supported initializers
with designators, e.g. { .d_open = fooopen, .d_close = fooclose } which
is being used to good advantage in FreeBSD to reduce reliance on exact
struct layouts.  So that should be usable even on the current vax port.

The manual didn't say, though, whether unmentioned fields get explicitly
zeroed, as C99 assures. Anybody know (for 2.95.3)?

-Chap