Subject: Re: kcont (was Re: Could this be a bug?)
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2006 20:04:13
In message <20060113030552.GA25242@panix.com>,
Thor Lancelot Simon writes:

>On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:57:31AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
>> > I don't think anything in the tree uses kconts.  They were intended
>> > to replace the hand-coded continuations in the FAST_IPSEC code, and
>> > there's also a splice() implementation that uses them, but it's all
>> > been on hold for years because we can't establish a single ipl hierarchy
>> > across ports, and the generic kcont code doesn't work without that.
>> >
>> > It has to happen.  I hope someone causes it to -- soon.
>>
>> was there a concensus to move from softint to kcont?

As the originator of kcont(9) and the aforeentoined splice() code, I
cannot pretend to be impartial. But my recollection is that a Core
member (Matt Thomas) was quite keen to replace softints with kconts. I
thought a consensus was reached but immediately, bogged down in
details --- pretty much those which Thor cites.

At the very least, I certainly dont recall any dissent.