Subject: Re: brconfig and "ipf" to use "pfil" also
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/12/2006 10:20:05
On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:44:16AM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:02:57PM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:

>> >I would say instead:
>> >
>> >through the bridge while filtering IP and IPv6 packets through
>> >the configured packet filter, such as pf(4) or ipf(4). Other packet types
>> >are blocked.
>>
>> or...
>>
>>   pfil     Enable pfil(9) packet filtering on the bridge.  The current
>>            implementation filters IP and ICMP packets across the bridge
>>            with the configured packet filter, pf(4) or ipf(4); while ARP
>>            and RARP packets are passed, unfiltered, through the bridge.
>
>This fails to mention IPv6 and does not tell explicitely that other
>non-IP, non-(R)ARP packets are blocked. Also, the configured packet filter
>may be something else than pf or ipf, contrary to what your formulation
>implies. (True, there is no other packet filter available, but if you
>write a custom one, it should Just Work.)

I just forgot "other types" and I don't know what happens with ipv6..

 pfil   Enable pfil(9) packet filtering on the bridge.  The current
        implementation filters IP and ICMP packets through the bridge
        with the configured packet filter: pf(4), ipf(4) or your own;
        other non-IP, non-(R)ARP packets are blocked, while ARP and RARP
        packets are passed, unfiltered, through the bridge.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org