Subject: Re: Panic in subr_pool:817
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/10/2006 01:34:25
--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c

Update,

i've managed to reproduce the starvation problem with a kernel without any
compilation flags apart from DIAGNOSTIC. When in starvation it seems to
help to suspend the copy, create heaps of new nodes (using f.e. ls -alR on
a big tree) and then continue with the copy. It looks like the problem is
then gone for a while again.

My updated hypothosis is that for some reason vnode's buffers are not
recycled in the right order when buffer space gets short.

Note that this is a kernel running with yamt's patch for genfs but since it
uses iobufs and kernel memory is not exploding in size its very unlikely to
be iobuf related unless its pool is set to low a high water mark.

Since the iobuf (and possibly also the normal buf pool?) are declared with
a initialiser i dont know the min/max values. Could this be an issue? or am
i rambling on this?

Or could your patch to genfs, Takashi, be confusing UVM? in ways my code
didn't?

still puzzled,
Reinoud

--sm4nu43k4a2Rpi4c