Subject: Re: RFC: addition of B_MANAGED and B_NESTED to buf.h and vfs_bio.c
To: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2006 14:16:19
On Jan 4, 2006, at 2:05 PM, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> one of the goals was rather to un-muddy the buffer stuff i.e.
> cleaning up
> by trying to orthogonise buffer flags and actions.

Except that getbuf() / brelse() imply the use of the caching
mechanism.  You then set a flag that says "oh, I'm just using this as
an I/O descriptor", which basically makes brelse() mean nothing other
than "pool_put()".

So, why not just remain consistent with the other parts of the kernel
that already use a buf as an I/O descriptor rather than adding
something that isn't actually needed just so it can be ripped out
later anyway?

-- thorpej