Subject: Re: lock-free data structures
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2006 18:01:25
On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 04:08:13PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de (Ignatios Souvatzis) writes:
>
> >So... as the Amiga is a single-CPU machine (well, as supported by
> >NetBSD) would it just work?
>
> I guess so. But using BSET/BCLR instead will definitely work
> while CAS could possibly fail.

Hm.

The problem is - with bset/bclr you can't implement list
insertion/deletion directly, which was what triggered this thread
above.  Well, you can indirectly by using bset/bclr to implement a
lock.

(Btw, I remember an old paper about using CAS2 for more complicated
structure manipulations - this would be slow on 68060 machines, as CAS2
(and unaligned CAS) trap on the '060 and have to be emulated.)

Regards,
        -is