Subject: Re: Device minor numbers conversion in COMPAT_NETBSD32
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2006 08:34:53
--6s/G0Ait2f6IH9MX

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:29:41AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, matthew green wrote:
>=20
> >
> >actually, if the /emul/netbsd32/dev entries were *all* symlinks
> >there is no (security or otherwise) problem is there?
> >
> >i don't think any solution based on what sysinst may do is a
> >useful one.  it should just work.  (ideally by amd64 switching
> >to the traditional format used by i386... but that's a flag day
> >for current amd64 users as cube as pointed out.)
>=20
> 	I'm probably missing something here, but what would the
> 	problem be with selecting new, unconflicting device ids
> 	for both ports, and having the old device ids enabled under
> 	a compat option (including a sysctl if preferred). New
> 	kernels default to the compat enabled, and new MAKEDEV
> 	creates new nodes.
>=20
> 	Document it clearly, enable it in the kernel on COMPAT_30 or
> 	earlier, and make the kernel print a warning when it sees an
> 	old form /dev/console node.
>=20
> 	No flag day, and we get a 'perfect' set of device numbers.
>=20
> 	Taken to an extreme its an oportunity to make _all_ ports work
> 	from the same unified set of device numbers. Mmmm...

I think this is a fine idea, but here's the list of devices with issues:

ws, sd, ld, cd, raid, ccd    -> minor numbering issues (there might be
                                even more)
clockctl, systrace, cgd,
wsfont, dpti, irframe,
ksyms, mly, joy, cir,
radio, kttcp                 -> different (and overlapping) major
                                numbers.

(This is a quick read of diff {amd64,i386}/conf/majors.*, I might be
missing a couple devices.)

That means we'd burn that many MI (or maybe MD--yet common to i386 and
sparc64) major numbers to solve that issue.  Is it acceptable?

--=20

--6s/G0Ait2f6IH9MX

--6s/G0Ait2f6IH9MX--