Subject: re: Device minor numbers conversion in COMPAT_NETBSD32
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2006 01:29:41
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, matthew green wrote:

> actually, if the /emul/netbsd32/dev entries were *all* symlinks
> there is no (security or otherwise) problem is there?
>
> i don't think any solution based on what sysinst may do is a
> useful one.  it should just work.  (ideally by amd64 switching
> to the traditional format used by i386... but that's a flag day
> for current amd64 users as cube as pointed out.)

 	I'm probably missing something here, but what would the
 	problem be with selecting new, unconflicting device ids
 	for both ports, and having the old device ids enabled under
 	a compat option (including a sysctl if preferred). New
 	kernels default to the compat enabled, and new MAKEDEV
 	creates new nodes.

 	Document it clearly, enable it in the kernel on COMPAT_30 or
 	earlier, and make the kernel print a warning when it sees an
 	old form /dev/console node.

 	No flag day, and we get a 'perfect' set of device numbers.

 	Taken to an extreme its an oportunity to make _all_ ports work
 	from the same unified set of device numbers. Mmmm...