Subject: Re: Device minor numbers conversion in COMPAT_NETBSD32
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/04/2006 01:07:55
--YzytRCpZNWCht94M

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:42:47AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:06:42AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 06:55:30PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > > On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 02:32:00AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
[...]
> > > Unfortunately it's too late.
> >=20
> > That's not a positive way of considering the issue.
>=20
> Well what do you expect? :-)
>=20
> The problem is that we have to make a decision based on information we=20
> don't really have, which is what architecture the /dev was for.

I just wanted to drop an amd64 kernel on an i386 installation...
=20
[...]
> I really think /emul/netbsd32/dev is a bad idea. It's one thing if we=20
> really really have to have a different node or set of nodes either for a=
=20
> chroot or for another OS that does something VERY weird, but I do not=20
> think the use you describe warrants it for our own nodes.

You know, netbsd32 probably needs more tricks than other emulated
systems, because the native system is too close to the emulated one.

When the guest OS is "very weird", it is less likely to introduce
ambiguity.  In the netbsd32 case, everything is a hack because all the
logic is the same, except for small annoying details.  That's why
working on netbsd32 introduces so many changes in the main tree;  you
don't want to duplicate the logic (bugs appeared in netbsd32 by code
duplicate obsolescence).

> I think a far better solution is add an option to the amd64 (and i386)=20
> sysinst so that it can optionally set up the /dev is magic symlink trick,=
=20
> and have sysinst figure out what /dev was made for (look at {r,}wd1* and=
=20
> you can tell real quick), move that dev out to /dev.whatever, and make a=
=20
> new /dev.other.
>=20
> I really think that if we do anything other than require that the device=
=20
> entries in /dev exactly match the running kernel, we will end up with a=
=20
> mess later on.
>=20
> We're cleaning up after one hack, let's not do it by adding another.

No, we're not cleaning up.  Cleaning up would be flag day.

Anyway, let's go for the magic symlink trick, it seems to be the general
opinion.  However I'll leave that for some time later, or someone else.

--=20

--YzytRCpZNWCht94M

--YzytRCpZNWCht94M--