Subject: Re: Device minor numbers conversion in COMPAT_NETBSD32
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/03/2006 17:20:25
--s5/bjXLgkIwAv6Hi

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 11:46:15AM +1100, matthew green wrote:
>=20
> actually, if the /emul/netbsd32/dev entries were *all* symlinks
> there is no (security or otherwise) problem is there?

There are no problems. However the i386 programs would be seeing the amd64=
=20
device nodes, so they would need to NOT do the magic that was proposed.=20
Thus rather than collapsing two cases to one, we still have two cases. At=
=20
that point, I think we should just let the emulated programs use the=20
normal amd64 nodes. :-)

Take care,

Bill

--s5/bjXLgkIwAv6Hi