Subject: Re: Device minor numbers conversion in COMPAT_NETBSD32
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/03/2006 11:45:31
--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:34:44AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:23:18AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	We could allocate new matching device numbers for disks on both
> > 	ports, and leave the old numbers as compat glue for each port,
> > 	so old machines can continue to work but the results of a new
> > 	MAKEDEV can be shared between ports...
>=20
> We could simply do
>=20
>  - enable magic symlinks in fstab and kernels on i386 and amd64
>  - have i386 standard install create /dev.i386 and /dev.amd63, each
>    popluated with proper content
>  - ln -s /dev.${MACHINE_ARCH} /dev

Actually, I like this idea as something that sysinst can OPTIONALLY do.=20
That way if you need the ability, you get it. Otherwise, /dev is what it=20
is as it has always been.

Running an amd64 kernel on an i386 /dev is an uncommon occurence at best.=
=20
I think it's great for us to have a recomended way of handling it, but I=20
don't think we need emulation-based tricks nor do we need to explicitly=20
support it in the common case.

Take care,

Bill

--aT9PWwzfKXlsBJM1