Subject: Re: Device minor numbers conversion in COMPAT_NETBSD32
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/03/2006 12:10:20
--vkljSoo+ux+fbUAa

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:34:44AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:23:18AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	We could allocate new matching device numbers for disks on both
> > 	ports, and leave the old numbers as compat glue for each port,
> > 	so old machines can continue to work but the results of a new
> > 	MAKEDEV can be shared between ports...
>=20
> We could simply do
>=20
>  - enable magic symlinks in fstab and kernels on i386 and amd64
>  - have i386 standard install create /dev.i386 and /dev.amd63, each
>    popluated with proper content
>  - ln -s /dev.${MACHINE_ARCH} /dev

See Michael's concerns about security.  By doing that, we would affect
much more people than simply those who want to actually use
COMPAT_NETBSD32.

> Or:
>  - create a sysctl to turn on/off the i386 compat magic (or patch a kernel
>    variable, or build double sets of kernels - one with, one w/o ;-} )

That's easily doable.

>  - only use compat magic on update installs

I guess that goes with Manuel's idea of "never look back".

>  - keep new dev numbers strictly in sync (like sparc and sparc64 do)

I've finally had a look at the diff between majors.amd64 and
majors.i386.

It's not a pleasant sight.  At this point I think it's either we do the
magic symlinks dance on i386 or we kindly explain our amd64 users that
there will be a flag day.

--=20

--vkljSoo+ux+fbUAa

--vkljSoo+ux+fbUAa--