Subject: Re: ia64 unwind section: Loader implementation
To: Allen Briggs <>
From: None <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/2005 06:49:18
date:component="Your message dated",formatfield=""
In message <>Allen Briggs writes
>[ Do we need this wide of a cross-post? ]
>On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 01:05:36PM +0530, Cherry George Mathew wrote:
>> a) Add a #ifdef within lib/libsa/loadfile_elf32.c
>ia64 uses elf32 ?

Elf support derived from CGD's code  merely do, for 64-bit platforms
	#define ELFSIZE 64

then includes the elf32.c version, which has #ifndef ELFSIZE/
#define ELFSIZE 32/#endif.

>Aside from that, this seems like the best option to me, but can it
>be abstracted a little bit into an md callback?  Either to allow
>machine-specific selection of extra sections to load (I think this
>is my preference without digging into the code) or to just call a
>machine-specific routine to load what it needs?

That sounds useful for a real in-kernel ELF loader, too, but (per
above) it'd have to go into lib/libsa/loadfile_elf32.c.  Supporting
different callbacks for 32-bit vs 64-bit hosts of the same broad arch
may require some more minor work elsewhere in the chain; more 32-bit
vs 64-bit mangling of elf32.[ch] entrypoints, etc.