Subject: Re: Adding Multiboot support (or not)
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: tlaronde@polynum.com <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/30/2005 15:17:08
Hello,

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 02:56:13AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, tlaronde@polynum.com wrote:
> >BTW, one---low priority---task I want to do some day is...get rid of
> >GRUB for NetBSD livecd or (easier) network boot...
>
> For that, cdboot[1] needs to learn to run "ls", which I've learned is a
> problem somewhere in the MI iso9660 code, I think somewhere near
> src/sys/lib/libsa/cd9660*, see [2] for the discussion of this.

Thanks for the pointers. It's technically at my reach (I have already
done some cd stuff for GRUB), the problem is ENOTIME at the moment---but
if nobody takes it in the mean time I will actually do it since I want
to provide a livecd [with KerGIS] NetBSD and BSD licenced from boot to
run.

To summarize for me (but this exceeds what jmmv original mail was
about), considering boot and GRUB:

1) some GRUB facilities would be better incorporated in some version of
a NetBSD stage2;

2) extended facilities (a bootloader being a minimal kernel running on
the bare metal for debugging/fixing/exploring) would be better handled
by working on the NetBSD kernel and framework (libstand, both for MI and
reuse of existing code is already there for example). This all
has to do with embedded system and will benefit embedded system work;

3) short time---for me---is to get rid of a not *BSD based bootloader
for CDROM and network boot [note: when I wrote "easier" for network boot
it was "easier network boot" not "an easier task is to get rid of third
parties dependencies for i386 network booting": to tackle the CD boot
stuff is far easier since it is more limited].

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/