Subject: Re: radeon driver design (was Re: generic virtual consoles)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/28/2005 19:09:13
> I think it'd be simpler to copy existing art.

I'm not so sure.

> We aren't the only OS which has to worry about graphics performance.

True, but...

> Windows and MacOS X have to have addressed this problem already, and
> from looking at the performance of games on either platform, they
> have done it well.

...there is nothing to say they have done it cleanly, elegantly, or
extensibly, all three of which I would hope would be true of any
solution NetBSD adopts along these lines.

Even if they have, certainly Windows and probably OSX[%] do not
publicize the ways they have solved these problems, so the "existing
art" is not really available for inspection.

[%] Darwin is open-source, but Aqua - the snazzy graphics layer -
    isn't.  I don't know how much the underlying Darwin drivers could
    tell us; it might be worth looking, but I don't expect anything
    terribly useful.  For all I know there are no Darwin drivers
    involved, with the graphics drivers being considered part of Aqua
    and dynamically loaded a la our LKMs....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign